Are you looking for the best cryptocurrencies to invest in 2018?
The crypto market has been a little crazy, to say the least.
And after years of trading stocks, I’ve never seen anything like it.
So whilst Bitcoin is finally hitting the mainstream, other cryptocurrencies (also named ‘altcoins’) are just getting started.
This guide will show my top 5 picks for the best cryptocurrencies to invest in 2018.
1. Why 2018 Is Your Opportunity To Invest & Profit From Cryptocurrencies.
Wondering what’s the next big altcoin of 2018?
Feel like you’ve missed the boat with Bitcoin?
Don’t worry – this is far from over!
Think about it:
Cryptocurrency is still just getting started. We’re barely scratching the surface!
Most investors are still intimidated by crypto - and altcoins haven't really hit the mainstream yet.
It’s like watching the birth of the internet or mobile phones – there’s so many investment opportunities it’s incredible.
So that’s why I’ve written this guide on the best cryptocurrencies to invest in 2018 – because this is your opportunity to get in early.
By the way: if you really want to learn how to trade cryptocurrency, check out my course here.
So here's my recommendations on the top 5 best cryptocurrencies to invest in 2018.
2. The Top 5 Best Cryptocurrencies To Invest In 2018!
1. Litecoin – LTC.
1.1 What Is Litecoin?
With nearly 3,000% gains in 2017, Litecoin had one hell of a year!
It’s become one of the world’ most traded cryptocurrencies since launching in 2011, with huge volumes transacting right now.
And compared to Bitcoin, it has a faster and more streamlined transaction time. It also has low fees – so it’s less expensive to transfer.
1.2 Why is Litecoin one of the best cryptocurrencies to invest in 2018?
Bitcoin is hogging the spotlight from pretty much every cryptocurrency right now – and that means not a lot of people have heard of Litecoin, unless they’re already familiar with cryptocurrencies…
However, with the community growing so much – especially on Coinbase – Litecoin has plenty of room for growth.
Plus Litecoin also has the scarcity factor:
You see, Cryptocurrency prices are all about supply and demand.
And with a limited number of coins available, the more people buy it, the higher the price inflates (in theory).
Here’s a few more reasons why Litecoin is one of the best cryptocurrencies to invest in 2018:
- Litecoin’s technology is quicker for payments than Bitcoin, making it more scalable and practical for businesses and customers.
- It’s been around since 2011 and stood the test of time so far – which is relatively long for a cryptocurrency.
- Litecoin’s encryption technology is very safe and secure – creating more confidence for buyers.
- Coinbase – the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange – sells Litecoin. That is a huge selling point because it’s so easy and accessible to buy compared to other alt coins.
1.3 Where can you buy Litecoin?
Litecoin is available on Coinbase – which you can sign up for here.
…With Coinbase being so trusted and so popular, investing in Litecoin quickly is pretty easy! You don’t have to worry about using a complicated exchange.
And if you sign up using my link here, we’ll both get $10 of Bitcoin.
2.1 What is IOTA?
IOTA is exploding right now…and you’re about to discover why…
With news spreading of IOTA partnering with some of the world’s biggest technology firms – including Microsoft, Volkswagen and Fujitsu – this is one of the most exciting cryptocurrencies to invest in 2018…
IOTA uses a revolutionary technology called Tangle – which in theory is more time efficient than other blockchain cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin. It’s a little more lightweight and scalable than Blockchain technology too.
If you’re interested in the technical details, check out this guide on blockchain vs Tangle.
2.2 Why is IOTA one of the best cryptocurrencies to invest in 2018?
- Zero transaction costs: that means it can be used for thousands of day-to-day, microtransactions – making it easily scalable.
- Quick transactions: with IOTA, payments can be sent extremely fast.
- Scarcity: there’s a fixed number of IOTA, creating the ‘scarcity factor’.
- Scalability: I won’t bore you with the technical stuff but basically, IOTA doesn’t use the blockchain – it supports a different system called Tangle which allows ‘infinite scalability’. That means it has more potential to grow and become adapted mainstream. You can find out more about the Tangle system here.
- Partnerships with big tech firms: if blue-chip companies like Microsoft are investing in IOTA, then you know that there’s a huge amount of potential for growth!
2.3 Where can you buy IOTA?
Although there’s rumours of IOTA coming directly to Coinbase, so far you can only buy it from Binance…
This is one of the biggest reasons why IOTA is just beginning to grow – because it’s technology makes it tricky to integrate with cryptocurrency exchanges.
Plus, until IOTA becomes available on popular crypto marketplaces like Coinbase, it’s not very accessible and will miss out on a lot of investment.
3. Monero (XMR).
3.1 What is Monero?
With innovative technology like stealth addresses, Ring Signature ad Ring CT, Monero has plenty of interesting features…
One of Monero’s biggest USPs is the fact that it’s centered on privacy – and that reflects trust.
No one can see your transactions with Monero – so your spending history is completely anonymous. With Bitcoin, your payment history is a little more transparent, which some investors are wary about.
One of the biggest differences between Bitcoin and Monero is that Monero is ASIC resistant. It’s cheaper to mine – because Monero’s mining system doesn’t have the high powered demands of Bitcoin for instance.
…Let me explain:
With Bitcoin, you need a lot of electricity and a high performance computer to mine it. In contrast, Monero is much more efficient – you simply download the wallet, click a button and start mining.
It also doesn’t struggle with the centralised money system that Bitcoin has – so it’s more private and secure.
If you want more technical info about Monero, this guide tells you pretty much everything you need to know.
3.2 Why is Monero one of the best cryptocurrencies to invest in 2018?
- Monero is one of the safest cryptocurrencies in the world right now! Privacy is a big deal to consumers, so this is a huge selling point.
- Ever noticed how the price of Bitcoin plunges every time there’s a new hack or attack? That’s because of a lack of trust. Monero’s privacy benefits allows more confidence because it’s more secure, private and resistant to cyberattacks.
- It’s far easier to mine – requiring less electricity and hardware compared to Bitcoin.
- With 180+ developers on the Monero project, this cryptocurrency receives a lot of updates and support.
3.3 Where can you buy Monero?
4. OmiseGo (OMG).
4.1 What is OMG?
With over $25.5 million invested in OMG, OmiseGo was originally developed in Thailand.
OMG has skyrocketed in price this year – making huge gains for investors.
4.2 Why is OMG one of the best cryptocurrencies to invest in 2018?
- The development team have pretty much all come from the Ethereum Foundation. They’ve also helped on plenty of other cryptocurrency projects including Cosmos, Hydrachain and Golem.
- OMG has already become popular across Asia – targeting huge markets across Thailand, Japan and Indonesia.
- It’s been around since 2013 – standing the test of time and releasing some exciting news along the way…(see below)
- OMG received a lot of confidence from big consumer facing companies…With businesses like McDonald’s Thailand expected to take up the coin, this is a really exciting time for OmiseGo.
- With uptake from companies like McDonald’s, you can see the potential for OMG to be used in the ‘real world’. OMG offers a practical way to spend cryptocurrency – without going through numerous crypto exchanges.
- Due to their practical usage, they could be the ‘go to’ option for gift cards, loyalty points and remittances across Asia.
- It’s a great option for people without bank accounts – as long as you have internet access, you’ll be able transfer money without actually holding a bank account. Need more info? Check out their FacePay technology example.
4.3 Where can you buy OMG?
5. Ethereum (ETH).
5.1 What is Ethereum?
Ethereum’s rise to fame has been meteoric!
With it’s unique Ethereum Virtual Machine technology, developers don’t need to create their own blockchains from scratch – making it an ideal companion for mobile app development.
5.2 Why is Ethereum one of the best cryptocurrencies to invest in 2018?
- Ethereum has a lot of confident investors. It’s one of the most traded cryptocurrencies in the world and seen as a worthy competitor to Bitcoin.
- Ethereum has grown by over 5,000% this year alone! Even for cryptocurrency standards, that is extremely high and signals the potential of this coin.
- Due to the EVM technology, it’s easier for developers to integrate this cryptocurrency with their own apps.
- You can buy and sell it on Coinbase – making it easily accessible…You don’t need to buy through it cryptocurrency exchange, which is a big plus.
One thing I would say is that when Cryptokitties recently launched – kinda like modern day Tamagotchi’s (full details here) – Ethereum really struggled with the demand. The market crashed and orders were backlogged.
This is a sign that Ethereum isn’t quite ready to cope with high volume usage just yet…
5.3 Where can you buy Ethereum?
As one of the world’s most traded cryptocurrencies, you can buy Ethereum directly from Coinbase here.
3. The Power Of HODLing.
So there you have it – the best cryptocurrencies to invest in 2018.
Now personally, I’d recommend that you hold your investments long term.
Some people in the cryptocurrency world call it ‘Holding On For Dear Life’ (HODLING).
If you’re new to this, don’t buy and sell every single day…
…Instead, simply buy, hold and forget.
You see, cryptocurrencies fluctuate like crazy:
And if you keep buying and selling everyday, the crypto market is going to suck you in and spit you out.
Here’s a few reasons why HODL will help you profit from the best cryptocurrencies to invest in 2018:
- If you’re constantly checking cryptocurrency prices, you’re going to waste a lot of time.
- Buying and selling all the time means you’ll be rinsed by transaction charges.
- If you’re not careful, you’ll end up making emotionally-charged decisions – because you’re worried about the daily swings in the price.
- You should see cryptocurrencies as an investment – not a ‘get rich quick’ scheme.
- Day trading is a very volatile world – it’s not advised for newbies!
4. Please Invest Responsibly.
When it comes to cryptocurrency, never invest more than you can afford to lose. No one knows what the market will do next…
I’d also highly recommend only investing with a responsible and safe cryptocurrency vendor. One of the biggest cryptocurrency platforms in the world right now is Coinbase.